Ecclesiastical architecture – St Andrews Church, Ham
With its beautiful Victorian architecture, and glorious chancel screen and stained-glass windows, St Andrews is a quintessentially English parish church. The striking double-spired, grey-brick church was originally built in 1830 to designs by architect Edward Lapidge.
For the past 10 years, we’ve provided architectural support for the church and its community to ensure a continuity of its use and history. This has included overseeing a series of reordering and renovation projects, both inside the Grade II-listed building and in the grounds nearby. We liaised with the local planning authority, the Georgian Group, the Victorian Society and Historic England, as well as applying for faculty approval from the Diocese of Southwark.
The church is now suitable for wheelchair access, and people can circulate around the interior more easily. Enhanced lighting creates a more welcoming atmosphere, while a modern sound systems ensures that everyone can hear what is going on. New joinery has resolved issues of storage and in the chilly winter months the congregation is grateful for the improved heating system.